Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Power of Suggestion

Pay close attention in some public place, like school, the movies, or church.

Ever notice when somebody coughs, sniffs, takes a drink, or even has flatulence then others may join in? Writing this I yawn just simply thinking of that as an example. I'd be willing to bet you got some urge to do that, or maybe if I said just the word "breathing" you would become aware of it, or "blinking". Then of course you eventually put those thoughts into the back of your head and normal biorhythms take over again.

Ever since my psych and even bio class, I have been thinking more and more about why people do things and how people work. The body and mind are amazing to me, I just have this need to explore it and figure out how it works and why.

But we go and tend to copy what goes on around us, or maybe we think that we shouldn't disturb something anymore than needed, so we try to cough or sniff or drink within the nearest time of whomever started it.

This concept also was tested on the Mythbusters episode "Is yawning contagious?". It really is the power of suggestion, and maybe we just do it for comfort, as the cough or drink was always in the back of your head but once you see/hear it then it becomes your top priority.

And why did I think to write this blog post? Power of suggestion of blogger in the the most recent episode of House. You know, the one that has "Donna" from That 70s Show? Weird to see her in other roles.

And by the way, I just got word that the school will pay for my college next year in every subject, versus before where it was just a good chance it would happen. Also, the only things left in my way are the ACT, then of course the rest of high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment