Thursday, March 4, 2010

Artificial Coloring

Behind me in class this girl was eating some grapes. Completely natural, organic, right off of the vine grapes. They were the red/purple type as well, and she turns to her friend and asks "Are my teeth purple?"

I couldn't believe the question she asked, did she really think that it had some sort of artificial coloring? Has all of the candy we know and love made us think that any colored anything will leave a trace in our mouth?  It just shocked me that she thought it could happen, with something that is well, real food.

I know some natural foods can turn your teeth/tongue certain colors, but in terms of a grape I don't know if she thought that the "juice" inside was some sort of candy gel or what.

Is this where we are as a species, raised to think that all foods have these colorings and fake artificial everything? If so, people need a real wakeup call.

2 comments:

  1. How do you know she thought it was artificial? I don't draw that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My point wasn't that she thought it was artificial, but that artificial food colorings have led to make her think that whatever the color of the food is will be the color that her mouth turns.

    ReplyDelete