Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ubuntu - It is actually all right.

Ubuntu, most "geeks" know about it. It is a quite popular Linux distribution that has the single aim of becoming user friendly, yet still letting the "geeks" have fun with developing and customization, and well every reason in the past as to why you would get Linux.

I got the Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04, and at first, simply not having much Linux experience at all, I removed it. I then went back to Windows 7. However when I woke up the next day I felt I just had to give it another chance. I went and did that and haven't looked back. Now note, I wouldn't use this as a main OS on my main computer, but it is pretty fun once you get into it.

Ubuntu has a few neat features such as a single notification area icon for all of your social needs. Now this is pretty cool and it is customizable. If any of those applications where people are talking to you need your attention the color of the icon changes and you can see who needs you and where. Social networking is very integrated into the OS, which really is a neat way to go. 

Then linked with your login is all of your instant messaging information, kind of like the Windows Live Passport being linked to your Windows account, as well as a service to let other Ubuntu users find you if you are on the same network. 

Anyway, there are bunches of neat things in which just about someone has made an app for it and it is different from Windows so you won't feel this is just a copy. Also, on the Netbook version they have this whole interface geared towards the mobile desktop and works pretty decently. Every application is put into a group such as Office, Accessories, System, WINE, etc. These groups are lined up along the side and it is just a simplified way of getting to what you want quicker. 

I have fell in somewhat of a computer love with Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment