Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Visual Dictionary

After watching the great movie Wall-E and seeing the scene where the Captain of the ship goes to his computer to analyze the dirt found on Wall-E, then finds out is is earth and he says "Define Earth". Then you see these pictures fly up of "Earth" and various plants and such, then a definition is read to you.

I found this concept very interesting, and had not seen anything before that had both a picture and definition, or more so multiple pictures. In researching I did come across a visual dictionary by Webster, which is solely images and the word, but it didn't tell you text wise what exactly was to be looked for. Of course looking at patterns in the images that come up you can find some sort of definition, but I wanted more. 

I got my hands on the Google Search API (very useful by the way, and it has great documentation) and went to work. I found out the Webster Online Dictionary also had a page that was strictly the definition, so no need to do all this web scraping.

I still have yet to come up with a name (Any Suggestions? Don't say 'Pictionary') but as of now it is just a little toy I made. Have fun using it, the people I have showed it to enjoy it.

Alan Cone's Visual Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment